The Association of Producers and Exporters of Avocado Packers of Mexico (APEAM) won the National Export Award 2020.
First of all, APEAM is the only Mexican cooperating partner of the United States, as well as USDA-APHIS for the export of avocado from Mexico.
APEAM is also in charge of promoting the fruit in other countries, always under the Avocados From Mexico brand.
For its part, Avocados From Mexico was founded in 2013 as the marketing arm of the two organizations that represent the Mexican avocado business in the United States.
Avocados From Mexico was formed as a non-profit organization in charge of coordinating the marketing activities of the Mexican Hass Avocado Importers Association (MHAIA) and APEAM.
Namely, APEAM won in the category of Foreign Trade Promotion Organizations.
Both Gabriel Villaseñor Zurita, president of APEAM, and José Luis Gallardo Anguiano, treasurer of APEAM, received the award at the headquarters of the Ministry of Economy, in Mexico City.
The Association is located in Michoacán.
Among its characteristics are the following:
- Supports the production and export of Avocado.
- It started supporting four municipalities, now they have support for 43 municipalities, with 44,000 orchards and more than 142,000 hectares.
- APEAM exports 85% of its production to the United States, 5% to Japan, 5% to Canada, 2% to Central America, 2% to Europe and 1% to Asia.
- It influenced the increase in per capita consumption between 2010 and 2018, it grew by 94 percent.
- Exports in the 2019-2020 season were 138,000 tons.
Avocados from Mexico
Avocados From Mexico’s marketing group, based in Irving, Texas, includes diverse merchants with great knowledge within the industry and in CPGs (Consumer Packaged Goods), as well as with experience in some of the most representative brands within this industry.
In short, it has managed to convert the entire avocado market, together with the Avocados From Mexico brand, into one of the most profitable businesses within the food industry, which has been growing exponentially.